Happy National Kiss Day!
The concept of a KISS is everywhere in society and has many meanings. A first KISS. A formal KISS. A passionate KISS. A KISS goodbye. So make your KISS count!
Random & Pointless KISS Info – Love, Yours Truly
1. “Kiss” is from the Old English cyssan from the proto-Germanic kussijanan or kuss, which is probably based on the sound kissing can make.
2. The science of kissing is called philematology.
3. The most important muscle in kissing is the orbicularis oris, also known as the kissing muscle, which allows the lips to “pucker.
4. French kissing involves all 34 muscles in the face. A pucker kiss involves only two.
5. The term “French kiss” came into the English language around 1923 as a slur on the French culture which was thought to be overly concerned with sex. In France, it’s called a tongue kiss or soul kiss because if done right, it feels as if two souls are merging. In fact, several ancient cultures thought that mouth-to-mouth kissing mingled two lovers’ souls.
6. Passionate kissing burns 6.4 calories a minute. A Hershey’s kiss contains 26 calories, which takes five minutes of walking–or about four minutes of kissing–to burn off.
7. The average person spends about 15 days kissing throughout the course of a lifetime. That’s like a full vacation.
8. The French translation for the tongue kiss is called “roulant une pelle,” which translates to “rolling a shovel.”
9. Kissing is good for what ails you. Research shows that the act of smooching improves our skin, helps circulation, prevents tooth decay, and can even relieve headaches.
10. Two out of every three couples turn their heads to the right when they kiss.
And for all the hopeless romantics out there… 50 ways to celebrate National KISS Day:
1. Kiss a stranger
2. Kiss your reflection in the mirror
3. Kiss a stranger’s reflection in the mirror
4. One-up the “Free Hugs” set
5. Reflect on the fact that a Hershey’s Kiss fits perfectly into your puckered lips (Try it!)
6. Wear KISS makeup (bonus points for going Peter Criss “Catman”)
7. Take a boat ride and kiss the ground dramatically when you reach the shore
8. Kiss someone’s eyelids (like Jordan Catalano did that one time, as if you don’t remember)
9. Kiss someone hello on both cheeks like the French people do
10. Kiss a photo of your celebrity crush like you’re 11 years old
11. Meet someone for a long kiss on a crowded train platform
12. Grab someone by the face and kiss them like you mean it
13. Kiss someone so softly your lips are barely touching
14. Kiss whoever you’re sitting next to in the car when you go under a bridge or through a yellow light.
15. Make a Hall and Oates style list of “the best things in life” and put “your kiss” on it
16. Actually play Spin the Bottle (instead of just talking about how it would be funny if you did)
17. Make a list of everyone you’ve ever kissed
18. Make a list of everyone you’ve ever wanted to kiss and didn’t…
19. … then go kiss one of those people (Disclaimer: This could be a terrible idea)
20. Let whoever you’re kissing now know what a good kisser they are
21. “Practice” kissing on your hand or a pillow like you used to before you’d ever actually kissed anyone
22. Exchange first kiss stories with someone
23. Exchange best kiss stories with someone
24. Exchange worst kiss stories with someone
25. Do an upside down Spider-Man kiss with someone (Be super careful, you guys.)
26. Kiss someone on a spot that they’ve never been kissed on
27. Use “S.W.A.K.” as your email sign-off
28. Make a playlist of as many songs with the word “kiss” in the title as you can think of
29. Kiss someone with ice in your mouth
30. Stand in a high foot traffic area, close your eyes, pucker up and see what happens
31. Set up a charity kissing booth (Has anyone actually ever done that in real life?)
32. Kiss someone on the hand when you meet them, all gentleman-like
33. Put on your reddest lipstick and leave a kiss mark on someone’s cheek
34. See how long you can just kiss someone before taking it further
35. Dip someone and give them a full-on Hollywood Screen Kiss
36. Eskimo kiss someone
37. Kiss a boo-boo for someone
38. Kiss in a location you’ve never kissed in before
39. Sprinkle a little bit of sugar on your lips and kiss someone… sweetly. (Sorry.)
40. Dress up all fancy and kiss someone on a balcony
41. Kiss someone at the top of a ferris wheel
42. Blow a kiss to someone from across the room
43. Shave your face completely smooth for once so you don’t scratch whoever you’re kissing up with your stubble
44. Tell someone to “shut up and kiss” you
45. Kiss someone with your eyes open to see what they look like
46. Grab someone by the tie and kiss them right on the mouth
47. Kiss a baby like you’re on the campaign trail
48. Invent a new kind of kiss and come up with a name for it (You can’t use “The Mickey Mouth” cuz that one’s mine.)
49. Try to kiss your elbow (Make sure someone’s ready with their camera to capture how awesome you look)
50. Make sure that you pester everyone you know into celebrating this awesome and largely unobserved holiday.